Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Kanshoku Ramen at The Metropolis Singapore JK1133

I met Melvin, the owner of Kanshoku Ramen recently at the World Street Food Congress in Singapore.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

Melvin invited me to visit his ramen shop at The Metropolis at Buona Vista MRT in Singapore.

Believe it or not, I am a ramen enthusiast; a recent convert. (You think I am a mee pok only man, meh?) I caught the ramen bug in, of all places, New York City.

You see, after a month of NYC's famous pizzas, bagels, hotdogs, burgers, steaks and corned beef, fanciful cakes and pastries, wonderful as they were my cells cried out pined for rice and noodles. Then I stumbled upon NYC's ramenyas and had my ramen epiphany moment.

Since then, I have been on the lookout for good ramen everywhere.

I gladly accepted Melvin's invitation to visit his newly opened ramen shop ;-D

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

I started with the Black Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen at SGD14.90.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The pork and chicken broth was medium bodied with savoury and sweet flavours in good balance.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The splash of house made aromatic black garlic oil/ gravy tipped the balance to more savoury when mixed into the broth.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The house made noodles were cooked al dente with a nice interesting bite. Since not many ramen shops in Singapore make their own noodles, as they say in Singapore "win already loh (贏了 loh)". Seriously, fresh house made noodles does give such ramen shops an edge over the majority that use generic factory supplied noodles.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The ramen come with two slices of braised chashu. The tender chashu was savoury sweet from the marination and relatively lean. I appreciate that the newer generations like their chashu this way. Personally, I like my chashu uncle style - thicker, juicier (i.e. more fatty ;-p) with more of the natural porcine sweetness (have porky taste lah ;-p). Want to eat chashu must 敢敢 (bravely) go the whole hog mah ;-p

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

At Kanshoku Ramen, the Japanese style marinated soft boiled egg or Ajitsuke Tamago has a richer eggy taste and aroma than the usual at other ramen shops. When I asked Melvin, my suspicion was confirmed - Kanshoku Ramen uses air flown premium Japanese eggs for their Ajitsuke Tamago.

I enjoyed Kanshoku's Black Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen so much that I wanted to fill up the remaining space in my stomach with more ramen. You know... like when in Johor Bahru, I like to fully fill up my stomach and gas tank before going back to Singapore.... ;-p

Fortunately, Kanshoku Ramen has "tea break" size servings that fit snugly in my 1/4 stomach tank.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The tea break sized Signature Tonkotsu Ramen at SGD6.90.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The medium bodied pork and chicken broth was well balanced between savoury and sweet. No MSG or synthetic flavour enhancers were used. Just good old bone broth with flavours extracted by simple boiling and stirring in the pot for hours. I drank this and the earlier Black Garlic Tonkotsu broth to the last drop, the good old Japanese way by holding the bowl up with both palms and tipping the broth straight into my mouth ;-D

By the way, Kanshoku means "finish eating every last bit of your food" in Japanese ;-D

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The same al dente house made noodles.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

The tea break sized ramen comes with one slice of braised chashu.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

Kanshoku's Black Truffle Edamame is very popular with new generation customers (who think that anything with truffle oil is nice ;-p ).

I have still not tried many ramenyas in Singapore but Kanshoku Ramen would be among the top of my mind now for good ramen in Singapore.


Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

Kanshoku Ramen is at the ground level at The Metropolis.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore

It is highly accessible as it's right at the doorstep of Buona Vista MRT station.

Kanshoku-Ramen-The-Metropolis-Singapore
Screen grab of Google map

Restaurant name: Kanshoku Ramen
Address9 North Buona Vista Drive #01-18, The Metropolis, Singapore 138588
GPS: 1.305939, 103.791125
Hours: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Phone: +65 6684 4033

Non Halal


Date visited: 19 May 2015


Return to Johor Kaki homepage.

2 comments:

  1. Tried this ramen restaurant on 22 May 15. The broth to me was relatively bland. Not rich or thick like some versions which I have tried. Instead of preserved bamboo shoots, they have black fungus instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little overrated in my opinion. The starters are much nicer than the ramen lol

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published